2020 Gisborne Hawke's Bay Architecture Awards shortlist announced
02 April 2020
Seventeen projects have been shortlisted in the 2020 Gisborne/Hawke’s Bay Architecture Awards.
The shortlisted projects were selected from entries in the awards programme of the Gisborne/Hawke’s Bay Branch of Te Kāhui Whaihanga New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA).
The shortlist was selected by a jury led by Napier architect Renee Woods, and including fellow Napier resident Ezra Kelly, Te Awanga architect Yvonne Forrest and Auckland architect Gary Lawson.
“Making an awards shortlist decided by your peers is a significant achievement for any architect,” said jury convenor Renee Woods. “It is also really heartening to see what a difference good architecture is making in the communities of our region.”
“The shortlist includes outstanding examples of a wide range of the types of buildings that architects design,” Woods said.
The shortlisted projects include houses and wine bars, a health centre and a shelter at a Gisborne eco-sanctuary, a commercial development in Havelock North, and the Opera House, police station and a public toilet in Hastings.
The COVID-19 lockdown has meant that site visits to shortlisted projects by juries around the country have been put on hold. Resumption of the visits or the adoption of alternative means of deciding award-winners are dependent on the national measures adopted to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 66 Reads Quay by Architects 44
- EIT Institute of Sport and Health by Pacific Environments NZ
- Hastings Health Centre by Architecture HDT Hawkes Bay
- Joll Road by RTA Studio
- Matisse Wine Bar by BOXCLEVER
- Hawke's Bay Opera House by Dave Pearson Architects
- Craggy Range River Lodges by Clarkson Architects
- Wine Lounge by C Nott Architects
- Cantilever House by Sumich Chaplin Architects
- Lot 26 Parkhill Farm by Townsend Architects
- Nicol House by Clarkson Architects
- The Town House by Architecture HDT Hawkes Bay
- Turley House by Gavin Cooper Architect
- Hastings Police Station by GHDWoodhead creativespaces
- Lawson Field Theatre Upgrade by Architects 44
- Longbush Ecosanctuary Welcome Shelter by Pac Studio
Small Project Architecture
- Cornwall Park Toilets by Citrus Studio Architecture