Laneway design competition for Tauranga announced
21 June 2018
Submissions are now being welcomed for a Tauranga laneway design competition organised by the New Zealand Institute of Architects Waikato/Bay of Plenty Branch and Tauranga Groundswell Festival of Innovation.
The organisers of Tauranga's Laneway Design Competition are seeking designs that will temporarily transform a prominent Tauranga laneway into a creative, lively, safe and engaging public area.
The designs submitted should be flexible enough to allow varied programmatic requirements, and should also embody the notion of place and community spirit of Tauranga. Designs that employ sustainable design and material innovation will also be favourably regarded.
To inspire thinking, some potential ideas might include:
- Build your own public realm using movable objects (trees on wheels, portable furniture and / or lighting made from recycled items; a stage that can be assembled in a variety of ways from a kit of parts)
- Live mural paintings (street art), either permanent (with building owner’s permission) or temporary (on screens, etc).
- Pop-up cafe with seating and spaces for conversation and observation
- Art installations / exhibitions
- Lighting installations
- Digital media installations
The competition will be run in two stages, with first-stage design submission due by 5.00 pm, Friday 20 July. The successful submission (or submissions, more than one design may be selected) will be fabricated and installed in time for the Groundswell Festival (27 August – 2 September) and NZIA Festival of Architecture (14 – 23 September).
The competition is open to all members of the design community. Architects, designers, artists and other creatives are encouraged to submit a design, either individually, or as part of a team.
The event sponsors are: Priority One, New Zealand Institute of Architects Waikato / BOP Branch, Tauranga City Council, Creative Bay of Plenty, New Zealand Institute of Landscape Architects, Mount ITM, D&B Construction, Canam Construction, Antipodes LED Lighting.