2020 Canterbury Architecture Awards shortlist announced
02 April 2020
Thirty-five projects have been shortlisted in the 2020 Canterbury Architecture Awards.
The shortlisted projects were selected from a record number of entries in the awards programme of the Canterbury Branch of Te Kāhui Whaihanga New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA).
The shortlist was compiled by a jury led by Christchurch architect Huia Reriti, fellow Christchurch architects Bernadette Muir and Daniel Sullivan, Wellington architect Anne Kelly, and Christchurch architecture designer Tobin Smith.
“Making the shortlist is a significant achievement, especially in what was a very productive year for architecture in the Canterbury Branch region,” said jury convenor Huia Reriti.
“The shortlist includes outstanding examples of the wide range of buildings that architects design, from schools, offices, public buildings and churches to houses and apartments,” Reriti said.
Among the projects shortlisted for the 2020 Canterbury Architecture Awards are the restored Christchurch Town Hall and a new town square in Greymouth.
‘Starchitecture’ is given a new meaning by two shortlisted projects – a building on the Ilam Campus of the University of Canterbury named for the eminent New Zealand astronomer Beatrice Tinsley, and the Dark Sky building in the Aoraki Mackenzie Basin.
The COVID-19 lockdown has meant that site visits to shortlisted projects by juries around the country have been put on hold. Resumption of the visits or the adoption of alternative means of deciding award-winners are dependent on the national measures adopted to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Bathroom Pavilion by Architype
- 222 High Street by Peddle Thorp and Esquisse Design Studio in association
- The Welder by Three Sixty Architecture
- Kathmandu Building by Wilson & Hill Architects
222 High Street
- Shirley Boys' & Avonside Girls' High Schools by ASC Architects
- McCombs Performing Arts Centre, Cashmere High School by Athfield Architects
- University of Canterbury Te Rāngai Pūtaiao College of Science Beatrice Tinsley Building by Jasmax, DJRD Sydney and Royal Associates Architects in association
- Te Tipu - The Rabbit Patch Preschool by PRau
- Ao Tawhiti Unlimited Discovery by Stephenson & Turner NZ
Shirley Boys' & Avonside Girls' High Schools
McCombs Performing Arts Centre, Cashmere High School
University of Canterbury Te Rāngai Pūtaiao College of Science Beatrice Tinsley Building
Te Tipu - The Rabbit Patch Preschool
Ao Tawhiti Unlimited Discovery
- Fendalton House Restoration by Herriot Melhuish O'Neill Architects
- Christchurch Town Hall by Warren and Mahoney Architects
Fendalton House Restoration
Christchurch Town Hall
- Wrightmann House by Athfield Architects
- Hursley Tce by AW Architects
- Ship House by Banbury Architects and Upoko Architects in association
- Pavillion House by Borrmeister Architects
- Cartwright Family Home by Bull O'Sullivan Architecture
- Cydonia by Don Jamieson Architecture
- Shark House by First Light Studio
- Houhere by New Work Studio/Tim Nees Architects
- Park Terrace by PRau
- Terrace House by Sheppard & Rout Architects and C Nott Architects
- Hawthorne Street House by Sheppard & Rout Architects
- Chippindale House by Stephenson & Turner NZ
- Riverside House by Three Sixty Architecture
Cartwright Family Home
Hawthorne Street House
Housing - Alterations and Additions
- Toto Whare by Bull O'Sullivan Architecture
- Sumner House by Herriot Melhuish O'Neill Architects
Housing - Multi Unit
- Peak Townhouses by Borrmeister Architects
- Paragon Apartments by Sheppard & Rout Architects
- ANZCO Foods Head Office by Jasmax, Sheppard & Rout Architects and Three Sixty Architecture in association
- Novotel Christchurch Airport Hotel by Warren and Mahoney Architects
- St. Patrick's Church by WSP Architecture
ANZCO Foods Head Office
Novotel Christchurch Airport Hotel
St. Patrick's Church
Planning & Urban Design
- Tainui Street and Town Square by WSP Architecture
Tainui Street and Town Square
- Dark Sky Project by Sheppard & Rout Architects
- All Souls Anglican Church by Warren and Mahoney Architects
- Aldersgate Centre by Wilkie + Bruce Registered Architects
All Souls Anglican Church
Small Project Architecture
- Haus Espresso by Dalman Architects
- University of Canterbury Electrical Link Building Re-clad by Warren and Mahoney Architects