Architects and engineers join forces to lead recovery
10 June 2020
Architects and engineers will help drive New Zealand’s economic recovery – and together we’ve made some commitments about how we will work for the greater good.
Engineering New Zealand, ACE New Zealand and the New Zealand Institute of Architects have released a series of commitments that show our collective will to make a difference for New Zealand, and focus on long-term prosperity not short-term gain.
Not only does our Leadership Statement tell our partners and procurers what matters to us, it sets some benchmarks for how we’ll behave. And it tells us what to expect from each other. It supports the principles of the Construction Sector Accord, which has welcomed this initiative.
Our professions are needed now, to help drive recovery – and they’ll be needed when we emerge from recession into growth.
Our commitment to the recovery
As we support New Zealand to recover, we will partner in the Construction Sector Accord’s shared goals of increased productivity, raising capability, improving resilience and restoring confidence, pride and reputation. We stand by the Accord and the principles that drive it. We commit to building a better New Zealand.
- We are committed to a safe, healthy, inclusive, sustainable and resilient New Zealand
- We take every reasonable step to safeguard the health and safety of people.
- We put the wellbeing of our communities front and centre.We drive work on sustainability, recognising the effects of our work on the environment and avoiding adverse consequences.
- We hold each other to account and speak up when we see behaviours that could lead to adverse outcomes.
- We are committed to the ongoing success of our industries
- We prioritise maintaining the capacity and capability of our industries.
- We work together to support the wider success of our industries, including through early engagement and collaboration with all parties.
- We drive high performance, quality and value for money.
- We think differently and take an innovative approach to problem solving for the future.
- We are committed to improving the systems we work in
- We break down fragmentation and supporting long-term planning, collaboration and joint decisionmaking.
- We work effectively with our partners to scope and deliver on programmes and projects consistent with these commitments.
- We enable high-trust relationships, built on collaboratively agreed outcomes, clear accountabilities and a shared understanding of risks.
- We keep an eye on the long term and don’t sacrifice it for short-term gains.
- We are committed to our people and our professions
- We support our future profession.
- We support our training institutions by placing emerging professionals within our organisations.
- We provide development pathways and opportunities to upskill.
- We drive diversity and inclusion, and support mental health and wellbeing.
Download the Leadership Statement | 213.6 KB